<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 14, 2004

Young Love 

I don't often read fiction books. Maybe a few a year.

I had picked a few new releases from the on line Library catalog to have a look at.

I ended up reading Linda Newbery, "The Shell House"

It's targetted to at teen fiction audience but it stirred ideas, events, memories and people I knew when I was a teenager. I could identify with the main character; the strong emotions and new feelings, the search for life's options, evaluating religion, first love, fitting in and not fitting in. Basic human emotions and experiences are somewhat universal even though the setting is in the UK.

The events in the book brought it very much up to date: Use of the Internet and email, dealing with gay relationships.

The one bone I have to pick is the ending is a non-ending. It seems every author needs to write books to lead up into a sequel. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like a sense of resolution and completion to the main areas of interest. Too many of these are left hanging in this book.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?