<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Life 

May I say that I consider it irresponsible that a doctor would say 24 hours
until you die. Medicine is not that precise an art. I recently lost my Aunt in
Ottawa she spent 6 weeks in the hospital on oxygen and was unconscious for
the last 24 hours. We die because we loose Hope.

The human mind is immensely powerful at healing the body. That is why all
drugs studies are blind. The placebo effect is well known and a factor in
many recoveries.

Yesterday, I dropped off a scooter to a family friend who is 81 and has
leukaemia. He received the scooter like a kid getting a Christmas present.
He rode it with glee then had to check the garage once more before we left.
Presumably to see if the battery charge completed but almost just to see if
it was still there. I guess this was a distraction from the pain of having
four bone marrow samples taken in the afternoon. The young in spirit live
on.

On my last visit to see my Aunt in Ottawa I asked if I could take her in a
wheelchair around the ward. The nurse was happy to help although we had to
transfer the IV bags and she had to get an oxygen tank for the wheelchair.
The windows in my Aunt's hospital room faced another building so it was
revitalising to get out in the sun bathed corridors. After one loop around
the ward she was fatigued and we returned to the room where the nurses
happily transferred her back to bed. In retrospect, it is satisfying to know
I had shown my Aunt her last sunset.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?